Friday, June 09, 2006

Opening Weekend!

Yeah, baby! Here it comes. My first show in three years and it's gonna be a blast. It's been an exhausting and fulfilling week. I think everybody in the cast needed audiences a week ago and now we get them. Everything's going amazingly smooth, considering all the work and the set changes we learned this week. I gotta stop bungling shit up backstage when I move the flats and props. With a little more practice, I'll be like clockwork. I can't wait! What an incomparable thrill to be doing this again. It's my greatest love that I've missed so badly. The cast and crew are spectacular and I still laugh my ass off like an idiot every single night. We don't have a bad apple anywhere. Everyone and everything in this show kicks ass. Am I biased? You goddam betcha. But I'm also proud. Is this great American theatre? Hell, I dunno. It sure is fun, though. We won't open anyone's eyes to the AIDS crisis, we won't examine the critical undertones of the human psyche, and we won't be stirring up any political debate. But we're not supposed to. There are more than enough plays for that. This show is laughter and entertainment, which, in my view, are important and always relevant parts of the human psyche. Humor is critical. Well-made and smoothly produced theatre is to be emulated in other parts of life for its dedicated community, creativity, and skill. This is a show I hope many people see because they'll laugh, be entertained, and appreciate the fun. Kiss it, love it! If you see the show, you'll know what that means.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Break a leg! I did theatre for about ten years here in Phoenix, you reminded me how much I miss it!

Colin said...

Hey Stradasphere, thanks for the well wishes! I hope you had a good time in the Phoenix theatre. Wendy, you can click the link in the post for further info. It's called "G.I.'s in Europe" and is a funny take-off on the Elvis movies of the early '60s. It's playing at the Prop Theater near Addison & Elston. Saturdays & Sundays @ 8pm, Sundays @ 7pm. Lemme know if you want to come and I'll try to get you a discount. Thanks for stopping by, you two!