Monday, January 28, 2008

Firewall's Still Being Nice...And This is About Music...in case anyone's watching

Amazing. I can still write and post here. This will have to be hit and run because I'm working on four publications simultaneously and the firewall might bite me in the ass at any minute. For Edmond, my best friend (and anyone else who was alive and young in the '80s), what happens when you somehow revisit the music you couldn't get enough of during our teenage years? What happens when you listen and the past comes back up in images and feelings, or even lyrics? Take New Order, which I just heard on satellite radio, or The Cure (coming to Chicago in May), and other such favored "alternatives" that we listened to, or maybe the so-called "harder" stuff like Skinny Puppy, the Dead Kennedys, Boston, or eighties Metallica: what do you feel when you hear? I'm sometimes embarassed by the overwhelming dramatized cheese of the music in that era, because I flung myself full-force into some of those songs. Other times, I feel defensive and self-important. It was the 80's, dammit! That was my youth and that was the sweet time of goth-rock, hair bands who wore makeup, and other such androgyny. "That-was-my-time-and-I-loved-it-and-piss-on-anyone-who-doesn't-love-the-eighties-or-wasn't-alive-to-hear-the-coolness." Usually, head-shaking follows these thoughts. Still, I gotta feel the love, because of memory attached to music, regardless of cheese level. Wonder what imbedded attachments are being formed to this generation's crap? I hope Fall Out Boy never inspires a contemplative moment.

No comments: