Friday, March 03, 2006

The Next Pulp Friday (PF 5)

Pulp Friday continues...

Previously on Pulp Friday:

PF 1
PF 2
PF 3
PF 4

Brian stares at the wreckage of our building's front door while I look at a a picture of Jenny, my dead wife. The door of our building being smashed in is one thing wrong, but the other is I've never seen the picture of my wife that I hold in my hands. I'd be more concerned with the latter except that the picture I'm holding was taped to the cluster of cinder blocks that were thrown through the door. I have to give equal attention to both abnormalities.


Brian, my downstairs neighbor in this building, shakes his head. "Jesus Christ," he says, "Chung's going to flip."


Chung's our landlord. A very stiff fellow who hates to spend money on this building.


I say, "Now we don't have to nag him about replacing the broken panes."


Still shaking his head, Brian says, "I'm worried because now we have to actually convince him to buy us a new front door."


That is a tall order, but I'm too immersed in this photograph to attempt any sort of conversation. My wife is in this photo, but her face is distorted, as if she was crying out in pain. It's just her head and neck, nothing below that. I can't imagine what's causing her face to do that.


Brian says, "Hey, there's a number on the back of the photo."


I turn the photo around and, sure enough, what looks like a phone number is neatly written on the back.


"Call the cops," I say to Brian, "I'm going to try this number."


I go back upstairs to my apartment and dial the number.


After four rings, there's a click and the ringing stops. No voice speaks on the other end.


"Hello," I finally say.


A high-pitched whisper on the other end says, "Sorry about your head. We weren't expecting you home for another hour at least. Make sure you use some ice."


"Who the hell-" I begin.


"Better just listen, rather than talk. There's a problem we need to discuss. It involves you personally."


"Swell. My day gets better."


"No talk, dear. Meet me in Welles Park on the tennis courts in ten minutes and come alone. Company wouldn't be good for Jenny."


Then the voice is gone and the dial tone growls at me.


This will continue...

Next on Pulp Friday: PF 6
PF 7
PF 8
PF 9

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came upon your blog by accident and for some odd reason, felt compelled to read a few entries. My eyes are now full of tears from laughing. Not sure if I'm laughing at you, or with you.
Doesn't matter.