Saturday, August 16, 2008

My First Business Trip in Years (or, is Denver better than Oakbrook?)

Just returned from a business trip to Denver yesterday. The final proof of my company's catalog is now set to print. The people at the company were terrific and they treated my boss and me to a nice dinner. Not a bad trip. I hadn't traveled for business since the '90s. Another cruel reminder of aging. Still, it was good to go back to Denver since I used to go there all the time while growing up in New Mexico. I hadn't been to Denver since the '80s; Cruel Aging Reminder #2. The mountains are still nice, but for the most part, Denver looks like Oakbrook, Illinois. A lot of strip malls and skinny, square business buildings. Not exactly attractive, but a mountain backdrop adds plenty: nice scenery to break up the strip mall setting and snow in August if you're above 10,000 feet. If all goes well, this will be an annual trip for work as we update our big catalog (meaning 1,500+ pages big) every year. I love seeing the mountains again, the company and its people are great, and I can deal with an Oakbrook style strip mall setting as long as I get one pint of Fat Tire to get me loopy for the whole evening. One drink at elevation 6,000 feet is plenty for someone my age (C.A.R. #3) but it's another way to beat Oakbrook; I'd need at least three beers there. Efficiency, scenery, and company; that's how Denver beats Oakbrook.

No comments: