Thursday, April 10, 2008

Charlton Heston: No One Did Cheese Better

The one reason I was sad to hear about Charlton Heston's death was because now the man who delivered some of the cheesest movie lines with such engrossing conviction is now gone. Plus, it makes me feel old to know that another actor from so many classic films has died. Touch of Evil is one of my favorite movies, and even though Charlton Heston was completey out of place (you know what I mean if you've ever seen this movie), he was still a major part of that film. Mr. Heston's body of film work speaks for itself. Okay, there's more than one reason why I'm saddened by the death of Charlton Heston. I won't miss his NRA endorsements, but I was watching Planet of the Apes on the Friday before Heston died and I remember who protected Val Kilmer in Tombstone. I'm not interested in debating the political ins and outs of his life, and though I give him credit for never wavering from his stance, I find it strange that a guy who played so many roles portraying a struggle against an oppressive state would become such a staunch conservative after what conservatism has come to stand for politically in the past decade. What I am interested in is celebrating cheese, and Heston was a master. So, for my pleasure (and yours) and a tribute to some damn fine movie roles, here's a brief Charlton Heston soundboard from

Soylent Green

and, of course, from Planet of the Apes.

Bloody Baboon!

Insane, Walking Pestilence!

You Led Me on a Leash!

A Madhouse!

You Damn Dirty Ape!

And, of course, the crowning achievement: Damn You All to Hell!!!

To see a better list of Charlton Heston stuff, go to The Charlton Heston Online Shrine page where I got these sounds.

RIP, Taylor.

No comments: