Friday, February 03, 2006

Clarity in Amsterdam, Part Two

Continuing writings from travel about a year ago...

PART ONE

In the weeks leading up to the trip, Edmond buzzes with excitement. He emails all of us at least once a day for three weeks leading up to trip, giving us websites to visit, making travel plans, or just keeping track of the countdown to leaving. He calls me every few days or so, and we share our joy of anticipation. During several conversations, we remind ourselves that we’ve got serious things to talk about. We both cryptically remark that there’s some things that we can only talk to each other about. For me, there’s a lot of bad shit that's happened in the past couple of years, and I’m hoping this trip will be a needed relief from constant anxiety and panic.

Though we’ve remained trusted friends, Edmond and I rarely see each other. Edmond lives in Boston, I live in Chicago. James has seen more of Edmond over the years than I have, because they went to New Mexico State University together. Edmond, James, and I all grew up in the same town, but the years away from home have separated us in more ways than one. Edmond’s wedding and this trip serve as a bridge across the years. In one way, we’re reacquainting ourselves, but in another way, we might as well be complete strangers.

On the third night of the trip, as all of us are coming down from a heavy haze, Edmond knocks on the hotel door of the room James and I share, and tells me its time we had a beer in the lobby now that James and Dan are napping.


The shit will continue.

PART THREE
PART FOUR
PART FIVE
PART SIX
PART SEVEN

No comments: