Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Bipolar Baseball Fandom

After the first week of the baseball season, I wrote that there would be some Baseball Bipolar Disorder to come. Dan Bernstein, one of my favorite sports commentators, recently said that Cubs fans look for reasons to be worried and White Sox fans look for reasons to be angry. I was already in agreement with that statement before the Cubs bullpen started looking awful and Carlos Zambrano went on the DL. Now I'm seeing lots of injuries, the Cubs two supposedly best relievers walking everything in sight, and the friggin Pirates in first place for a couple of days. At least the Pirates slid backwards as expected, but I had a feeling all of the prediction of the Cubs running away with the division was premature. It's not acting like 2004 yet when the Cubs were supposed to waltz to the World Series and all the silly entitlement went to their heads and they peed on their hands (literally, in Moises Alou's case). At the moment, I'm just agitated, mostly because the bullpen is shaky. There's other issues here and there with hitting and a few coughs in the starting pitchers, but I have faith (at this moment anyway) that those things will even out, but a bad bullpen is a killer. I'm including Cubs Baseball as part of Anxiety Mondays. A balm for anxiety, outside of Jack Bauer, is consistency; so far, White Sox fans are still angry and the Pirates are still going backwards, so that helps. Plus, I still get instant relief thinking about Reed Johnson's defense and looking at Kosuke Fukudome's April stats. Now can we get some more relief?

No comments: